Come and get muddy with Little Foxes Nature Playgroup!
Little Foxes is a rain or shine all weather outdoor playgroup. We run weekly 1 hour sessions through school terms. Each week has a theme and a core activity. We also love to encourage free imaginative play and interaction with nature. And there is always plenty of mud!
At The Fox Guild we are passionate about getting kids outside from a young age. We understand that playing in nature is essential for a child’s motor, sensory, social and emotional development.
Little Foxes sessions are facilitated by Michelle Smith. Read more about Michelle.
We encourage families to enjoy the weather, and be prepared for 4 seasons in a day! Sunscreen, sunhats and long loose clothing are recommended in the warmer months. Mud boots, puddle suits and lots of layers are recommended in the cooler months. We have lots of ideas about clothes etc. So just ask! After all….
“There’s no such thing as bad weather – only inappropriate clothing”
Each 1 hour session follows a loose structure –
- Start with a welcome song
- A simple guided nature activity is offered along with free play activity areas
- Families are welcome to explore the local setting further and we will do group bush walks
- There is a baby area for the little members of the group to enjoy some tummy time
- There is also a cosy undercover area set up with books
- Close with story and/or a song
The sessions as outlined below have been divided up into age groups. This is flexible and older/younger siblings are welcome. If a session time suits you, then book it in! Even if your children are not in that age group.
Sessions for Term 1, 2018 are as follows;
Monday – Ceres (Geelong)
29th January – 26th March
9:30 am for 0 – 3 year olds + siblings
10:45 am 0 – 5 mixed age group
12:00 pm 3- 5 year olds + siblings
Tuesday – You Yangs
Tuesday 6 February -Tuesday 13 March (shorter 6 week term)
10am – 11am for 0-5 year olds
Wednesday – Ceres (Geelong)
31st January – 28th March
9:30am for 0 – 3 year olds + siblings
10:45am 0 – 5 mixed age group
12:00pm 3- 5 year olds + siblings
Thursday – Inverleigh
1st February – 22nd March
9:45am 0 – 5 mixed age group
Bookings for all sessions are available via our shop
While we love dogs, we ask that you do not bring them along to Little Foxes, Thankyou.
Little Foxes members need take out Playgroup Victoria Membership to cover you for any insurance issues. Current members of Playgroup Victoria are able to link their membership to Little Foxes Nature Play Group – please email michelle @thefoxguild.com to find out our group’s code.
There are risks that we encounter during Nature Play and we ask that you familiarise yourself with our riskassessment-feb-2017 document before booking into a session.
Why an outdoor playgroup?
There are so many reasons for having an outdoor playgroup. Here is just a few:
- Playing outside is fun!;
- We are lucky to live in a very mild climate where we CAN be outside all year round;
- The benefits to children and their grown ups are huge – motor development, social skills, language skills, increased immunity, learning to negotiate risk, reduced anxiety, pre kinder and school skill development – (click here for more);
- Studies estimate Australian families are spending an average of 40 minutes a week outside (dirtgirl #welovebeingoutside) when the recommended amount of time is 3 hours per day;
- It provides an outlet for sensory play – helping children manage their bodies through using their vestibular and proprioceptive senses;
- Golden Plains Shire, National Parks Victoria & Geelong City Council all have beautiful spaces it’s fabulous to be able to get out and enjoy it.
If you have registered via Big Cartel after reading our risk assessment document – please fill in the contact form below. Thankyou.