Come and get muddy with Little Foxes Nature Playgroup!
BOOK NOW for term 4, 2018 groups CLICK HERE
Little Foxes is a rain or shine all weather* outdoor playgroup. We run weekly 1 hour sessions through school terms. Each week has a theme and a core activity. We also love to encourage free imaginative play and interaction with nature. And there is always plenty of mud!
Little Foxes is aimed at 0-5 year olds and their grown ups. Older siblings are always welcome (eg. On school curriculum days). Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles are also warmly welcomed. Everyone can benefit from a dose of Vitamin N!
At The Fox Guild we are passionate about getting kids outside from a young age. We understand that playing in nature is essential for a child’s motor, sensory, social and emotional development.
Little Foxes sessions are facilitated by Michelle Smith, Occupational Therapist. Read more about Michelle.
We encourage families to enjoy the weather, and be prepared for 4 seasons in a day! Sunscreen, sunhats and long loose clothing are recommended in the warmer months. Mud boots, puddle suits and lots of layers are recommended in the cooler months. We have lots of ideas about clothes etc. So just ask! After all….
“There’s no such thing as bad weather – only inappropriate clothing”
Each session has a structured start and end activity to encourage a sense of group belonging. The rest of the session is free play in nature. A variety of activity areas are available to children. A new theme (eg the Very Hungry Caterpillar) is introduced each week with related craft activities. Some activities (eg mud play, mud painting, fine motor tummy time) will be the same each week. Families receive a detailed session plan at the start of each term. This provides a discussion on the ‘hidden OT’ benefits for each activity.
See our current timetable for the sessions offered.
So, if you are ready to get muddy with Little Foxes BOOK HERE
There are risks that we encounter during Nature Play and we ask that you familiarise yourself with our venue benefit risk assessment Sept 2018 document before booking into a session.
*The Fox Guild also has an Extreme Weather Policy March 2018
Why an Outdoor Playgroup?
There are so many reasons for joining an outdoor playgroup. Here is just a few:
- Playing outside is fun!;
- We are lucky to live in a very mild climate where we CAN be outside all year round;
- The benefits to children and their grown ups are huge – motor development, social skills, language skills, increased immunity, learning to negotiate risk, reduced anxiety, pre kinder and school skill development – (click here for more);
- Studies estimate Australian families are spending an average of 40 minutes a week outside when the recommended amount of time is 3 hours per day;
- It provides an outlet for sensory play – helping children manage their bodies through using their vestibular and proprioceptive senses;
- Golden Plains Shire, National Parks Victoria & Geelong City Council all have beautiful spaces it’s fabulous to be able to get out and enjoy it.