Come and get muddy with Little Foxes Nature Playgroup!
Little Foxes is a rain or shine all weather* outdoor playgroup. We run weekly 1 hour sessions through school terms. Each week has a theme and a core activity. We also love to encourage free imaginative play and interaction with nature. And there is always plenty of mud!
Little Foxes is aimed at 0-5 year olds and their grown ups. Older siblings are always welcome (eg. On school curriculum days) We also offer after school sessions for 5-8 year olds, see the Tree Time Kid’s Club and School Holiday Family Bush Club.
At The Fox Guild we are passionate about getting kids outside from a young age. We understand that playing in nature is essential for a child’s motor, sensory, social and emotional development.
Little Foxes sessions are facilitated by Michelle Smith, Occupational Therapist. Read more about Michelle.
We encourage families to enjoy the weather, and be prepared for 4 seasons in a day! Sunscreen, sunhats and long loose clothing are recommended in the warmer months. Mud boots, puddle suits and lots of layers are recommended in the cooler months. We have lots of ideas about clothes etc. So just ask! After all….
“There’s no such thing as bad weather – only inappropriate clothing”
Each session follows a loose structure –
- Start with a welcome song
- A simple guided nature activity is offered along with free play activity areas
- Families are welcome to explore the local setting further and we will do group bush walks
- There is a baby area for the little members of the group to enjoy some tummy time
- There is also a cosy undercover area set up with books
- Close with story and/or a song
Sessions for 2018 are as follows;
Monday – Ceres (Geelong)
Tuesday – You Yangs (near Lara)
10am – 11.30am
Wednesday – Ceres (Geelong)
Thursday – Inverleigh
Further details about term dates and bookings for all sessions are available via our shop
While we love dogs, we ask that you do not bring them along to Little Foxes, Thankyou.
Little Foxes is a registered playgroup with Playgroup Victoria so all members will need take out a Playgroup Victoria Membership Current members of Playgroup Victoria are able to link their membership to Little Foxes. Please email michelle @thefoxguild.com to find out our group’s code (the code is also in the session details on the bigcartel link above)
There are risks that we encounter during Nature Play and we ask that you familiarise yourself with our venue benefit risk assessment feb 2018 document before booking into a session.
*The Fox Guild also has an Extreme Weather Policy March 2018
Why an Outdoor Playgroup?
There are so many reasons for having an outdoor playgroup. Here is just a few:
- Playing outside is fun!;
- We are lucky to live in a very mild climate where we CAN be outside all year round;
- The benefits to children and their grown ups are huge – motor development, social skills, language skills, increased immunity, learning to negotiate risk, reduced anxiety, pre kinder and school skill development – (click here for more);
- Studies estimate Australian families are spending an average of 40 minutes a week outside (dirtgirl #welovebeingoutside) when the recommended amount of time is 3 hours per day;
- It provides an outlet for sensory play – helping children manage their bodies through using their vestibular and proprioceptive senses;
- Golden Plains Shire, National Parks Victoria & Geelong City Council all have beautiful spaces it’s fabulous to be able to get out and enjoy it.
If you have registered via Big Cartel after reading our risk assessment document – please fill in the contact form below. Thankyou.